Storm Damage Tips
Storms can occur with little warning in Illinois and have devastating effects on your home or business. If your property has been damaged by a sudden storm, follow these helpful tips to minimize damage and keep your family safe:
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Call the restoration specialists at SERVPRO of Joliet if you have experienced storm damage. We will respond quickly and begin the process of expertly restoring your property. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 815-436-5735.