Mold Inside Your Home
Mold needs moisture, water, or humidity to grow and thrive. Mold spores can begin growing indoors when they land on wet surfaces. Some common places mold can thrive include:
- Showers, bathtubs, sinks, and toilets are common places for mold growth. These areas tend to be damp, and without proper ventilation, they provide the perfect environment.
- Air conditioning and heating vents.
- Fireplace and chimney. When not being used, fireplaces and chimneys are cool, damp, and dark - a fertile ground for mold spores.
- In the attic. If your roof has any possible leaks, mold can grow and spread through the ventilation system in the attic. It can also thrive in the insulation and soffit vents.
- In the basement. That all-too-familiar musty-basement smell is evidence of humidity and moisture, and more than likely mold. Most commonly it can be found around pipes and ducts, or near the foundation, sump pump, windows, or vents.
Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by eliminating moist conditions indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, it’s important to not only deal with it immediately and remove it; but resolve the root of the problem as well. In the right situation, mold will grow very quickly, in as little as 24- 48 hours. Call SERVPRO of Joliet if you find mold in your home or business!